About Me and my little blog

Blog Archive

Monday 17 May 2010

Penthouse to Pavement, Museum to Mall!

Miss Mannequin is all of a dither this week, thinking how to work the traumatic double booking that has occurred in next week's diary. How can it be that two so momentous occasions have colluded to take place on the same day: 28th May? Both in her hometown and both with her presence at their launch essential.

Firstly, the launch of the new galleries at her museum of choice: The Museum of London. But a hop, skip and jump away from my showroom on the cusp of the city, this beguiling museum is opening five new galleries featuring some fantastically co-ordinated stories documenting the lives, occupations and pastimes of Londoners throughout the ages. With a wealth of stunning costumes and artefacts on show (from the Lord  Mayor's coach to an exquisite Fanshawe dress), the galleries document the drama of London’s rich history from The Great Fire right through to the present day. I am especially interested, as my good friends at Gems Studio provided 167 custom made mannequins for this ambitious venture. The whole show is capped with a Pleasure Gardens inhabited by the most beautiful array of period costumes, topped off with gorgeous wire wigs by the talented Yasemen Hussein and delicious hat confections by brilliant Philip Treacy. How could I possibly stay away?

On the other hand 28th May brings about that other great fashionista event of this year - the launch of Sex in The City Pt 2! (Without this movie Miss Mannequin would cease to be so relevant)! The whirlygig of excitement is just too much to bear!!.

But wait a moment – I have the solution. If I plan carefully, I could do both. That’s it – I’ll slip over to St Pauls for the opening of the Museum of London in the A.M. gliding round the galleries, taking notes and improving my mannequin brain, then transfer to the West End in the P.M. for a glittery movie-fest of unrivalled glamour. What fun. I’ll meet you at the museum doors at 10am – you’ll recognise me, I’ll be the stunning blonde with the immaculate pout and a glass base plate under my arm!

museum mannequin to display historic costume by gems studio
The Pleasure Gardens at The Museum of London.

gems studio period costume mannequins

No comments:

Post a Comment